At a local level, both Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay Council's deliver their own TravelSmart programs.
TravelSmart programs by Commonwealth, State and Territory Governments ask people to make voluntary changes in their travel choices, encouraging people to use other ways of getting about rather than driving alone in a car. For example; using buses, trains and ferries, carpooling or by cycling or walking, or by tele-working.
TravelSmart asks you to rethink your travel needs by:
- Using alternative transport to the car, for example using walking, cycling and public transport.
- Reducing the negative impacts of the car on traffic congestion and air pollution.
- Recognising the health benefits of incidental exercise such as walking or cycling.
- Choosing shops and facilities that are near you to reduce the need to travel and to support local businesses.
Travelsmart Sunshine Coast has a website that houses all sorts of useful information, even for those who live outside the region.
The two programs can be identified by their colourful transport icons representing the suite of transport options supported for the region.
Sunshine Coast TravelSmart Program Icons
A journey taken out of the car is a journey towards a more sustainable future.
For most households the car is still an essential way of getting around. Being TravelSmart is not about selling your car and never using one again. It is about using the car more efficiently, through carpooling or using it only for longer trips, and cycling or walking for the shorter trips such as travelling to work or getting the kids to school.
Beginning your travel smart journey requires you to understand your current movement patterns, recognise the alternatives and then plan to make changes. The Living Smart activity centre has tools to assist you do this.Travel Smart Sunshine Coast
Travel Smart Moreton Bay
Start your commitment to greener travel behaviours, by selecting 3 new options for your household
challenges, tools and games.
Useful Tips and Facts
- 20% of all trips under 5km can easily be cycled in 20mins
- Map out a safe route for your children to walk/ride to school. Meet them half way, park further away and walk. Buy umbrellas for wet weather.
- Park your car further away from your destination and walk or cycle the rest of the way
- Plan your car trips so you are doing several tasks./activities